Thursday 9 October 2008

A sneaky blog!

Sneaky because him indoors has gone to town so whilst builders are building I thought I would do a quick post. The house has been totally ripped apart, all ceilings are gone and no fitting left I can't beleive we survived there for 18 months as time went on and the Rayburn died, we had no central heating and the two log burners were so sooted up that we couldn't get them to draw!
Well looking back it's no different than as a child we had no heating but we had hot water bottles and in a morning my Gran would turn on the oven and put our liberty bodices (no joke) to warm up in front of oven door! I can honestly say it never did me any harm, I think at the moment so many people are telling us how brave we are sleeping in a caravan - sorry that's not brave. We are not ill or living there because we have no home, we have chosen this route. I was certainly surprised to see so much damp, in the bedroom first born slept in (which was really a dairy downstairs) there was bitchaman on the walls, to try and prevent the damp coming through it didn't work.
The interesting things in the house are the cob walls which will remain and how plaster-boarded all the rooms were particularly the kitchen so they could put up wall cupboards. In the kitchen the builder has found a bread oven I think they call it a clome oven - not sure on spelling so we shall keep it and make a feature of it.
On a different note we had visitors yesterday who lived in Cheshire like us but he also left his business and moved to Cumbria with his lovely wife, they are having a weeks holiday in Cornwall and I have to say it was lovely to have a visit from genuine friends, hubby and him communicate every day and will always be friends, no point scoring just a great manly love it was lovely to see them laughing so much and enjoying each others company, have to say local pub let us down badly, why can't people cook properly when your paying for it? Anyway enough for now donkey poo awaits!! The weather is lovely we have been having misty mornings and lovely hot sunshine I love this time of year.

7 comments:

Lindsay said...

Forgotten by which route I found your blog - really enjoy it. Good luck with the house improvements.

Lane Mathias said...

Wow a bread oven! That's a great find!

I'm a complete wimp now and hate being cold but like you, growing up had no heating apart from a coal fire and an old aga. The bedroom windows would be frosty on the insides in the winter. Brrr.

Hope you're renovations go without a hitch - and quickly!

Buddhist in Training said...

What a wonderful find the bread oven is. It always amazes me when people get rid of or cover up these features.

I too know of frost inside the windows but not of liberty bodices ;)

Frankies' Cornish Farmyard Ramblings said...

Thanks for the comments like you Lindsay I go visiting and forget where and how I got there. Thought it was an age thing!
Lane, frost on the windows, I remember ice, and getting told off for making a mess of the windows.
berthddu suit, liberty bodices had shoulder straps and buttons down the front, we got them from Bon Marche in Altrincham, a proper shop with glass tops and drawers that pulled out! - where am I going with this? Drawers as in unit not drwaers as in pants, and Bon Marche was nothing like it is today.

Michelle said...

Its great when you find those historical features in your house. We havea cloame oven in our fire place too and two coffin hatches in the ceiling, there to lower folk down from upstairs who had died as the original staircase would have been too narrow and steep. Charming eh? Still love it though.
Autumn is my favourite month too (I have waxed lyrical about it over on my blog!!!)
Michelle
x

Georgina said...

I'd love to unearth bread ovens and the like, you must be thrilled! Like Lane, I am used to the insides of the windows having ice on them, especially here in France. Can someone please tell me though what is the use of a rayburn or aga apart from eating fuel and being bad for the environment? All of the houses we see in Devon have aga's and the agents are appalled that I'm not impressed. Debs x

Frankies' Cornish Farmyard Ramblings said...

Coming over to visit mickmouse,
Debs, thanks for comments, we were planning an aga but have decided against it, since I have been cooking in the barn I am converted to the instant heat of a hob, so I shall save money on cost of aga, and oil, Devon hey almost neighbours! Train links in Cornwall are good!